Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog House Reply To: Hedgehog House

Thank you for all the responses. I do have a shed but it has a concrete base so they would not be able to nest under it. I had a peek inside my hog house yesterday and there was a nest of leaves, I didn’t disturb it so couldn’t see if there were any visitors but obviously it has been used so I will buy another house so at least they have the option.
In terms of feeding Nic, I hate to admit I do feed them mealworms, until I saw your post at the weekend regarding mealworms I hadn’t realised we shouldn’t feed them. I bought some hedgehog food but they ignore it. As it is almost the end of the feeding season I don’t want to leave them with nothing as they come every evening at the same time. I feed them for a maximum of an hour and a half as I cannot leave food unattended due to the presence of rats. The hogs then go off and find their own food. I have made a wild area where there are lots of snails, beetles etc so they do get a varied diet. The hogs do appear healthy and have grown considerably they have been visiting since they were first weaned in August so I now have a dilema, what do I do?
Next year I will only give them hog food. and keep the mealworms for the birds.
Incidentally I received a PTES appeal the other day concerning saving hedgehogs and their picture featured hedgehogs with a dish of mealworms so obviously they are not aware of the dangers either.

Hedgehog