Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Feeding hedgehogs Reply To: Feeding hedgehogs

Hi Lorraine,
There has been a lot of talk about the problems with feeding mealworms to hedgehogs.
Some say don’t feed mealworms at all, others offer them occasionally. My view is that if you only feed occasionally and mixed with other food it won’t do any harm, but i am no expert on the subject. Mealworms fed exclusively i don’t think is a good idea especially to young animals.
I believe the problem is that mealworms can cause a depletion of calcium in the diet and adversely effect growth and development.
You could argue that if there is a potential issue why feed mealworms at all, hedgehogs can do perfectly well without them, but then you could argue the same with wild birds.

Hedgehog