Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog House Reply To: Hedgehog House

Gòod morniñg all,

I am please to say that the hedgehog that was living in one of my houses is still there ( even after I took the little cardboard box with him in out so I could clean it). I know this as I placed my trail cam outside the house to see if he appeared during the night. He did, at about 1230 he’d pop out and have some water, potter aròund for a while and then go back in.
I have moved the other house to outside my back door, put a cardboard box in it and last night placed a pile of dry leaves around it. This moŕning, as I type, I may have a hog building a nest in there. I can hear the leaves being crunched up and scuffling sounds coming from the house (at least I hope its a hog and not a rat!!).
I have lined the bottom of each house with a gardening kneeling pad or thin polystyrene to give a bit more insulation on the bottom but I think its the cardboard box they like.
My advice is to find a cardboard box big enough to fit a hog in but small enough to fit the hog house and see if you get a lodger. They may not stay but as I said even the one I disturbed is still there.
let me know if you try this and it works. Don’t forget it’s taken at least 5 years for me to get a lodger and now I may have 2!!!

Hedgehog