Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

Sounds like it is a source of mice the cat’s found in your garden, pretty much all we’ve recorded bar one mouse shooting past has been Frank & another cat sitting for a VERY long time just watching the same area of fence onto next door’s very overgrown garden where mice seem to live. Patience is obviously a cat trait.

I hope Digger hasn’t any hoglets too, it’s much colder now than it was this time last year, she sounds very busy though. Wonder why it’s so quiet re hogs in general visiting, maybe they’ve all found natural areas away from the dangers of humans so don’t need so much help, we can only hope.

I bagged up loads of leaves on the weekend from our car parking area, planning on making some sort of compost type enclosure open 5″ or so at the bottom on one side & filling it, maybe making a cover to keep it from being soaked. Be a good place for anybody needing a bit of shelter & warmth if it’s damp rather than wet & I read hogs need moisture in their bedding over winter anyhow.

Had a lovely surprise this morning, watching blue tits on the fat balls – first time I’ve seen them for a long while – & a wren was bobbing along the fence. First one in the 10 years I’ve lived here, used to see lots in my previous house but we were nearer woodland there. Yes, the blackbirds have been here too, hear them making their warning sounds in the hawthorn. Starlings are amazing in their groups, glad you’ve had some, they’re here being argumentative as usual. A murmuration would be welcome wouldn’t it. They’re hilarious using the feeder with the clematis netting on the front, they go in through it then hurtle out under it in all directions with a beak full of food like little bombers coming out of the clouds.

Frank is on the whole staying in most of the night or just out briefly to do his business somewhere – he’s disgusted with Minx using a litter tray & has only used it a handful of times in desperation for a wee (& once or twice our shower tray!). Hate it when he’s out longer, night is a bad time for nasty things to happen.

I think any water splashing out of your birdbath on the growing bulbs will probably be good for them.

Yes, thanks to William re batteries, never heard of that site before.

Hedgehog