Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog MUM HOG WITH WHITE FACE PATCH AND NEW HOGLETS – ADVICE PLEASE Reply To: MUM HOG WITH WHITE FACE PATCH AND NEW HOGLETS – ADVICE PLEASE

Hello Marion
I know you are reluctant to weigh them, but hogs are quite resilient little creatures and while they will run off initially they’ll be back in no time.
Measurement cannot alone tell how they are. You really do need to weigh them.
At this time of year a lot of juveniles can have quite heavy internal parasite burdens as they are stressing trying to get up to weight and you cannot see this.
If you pick them up and put them on the scales it will give you a far more accurate picture. Anything now under 400 – 450gms needs to be brought into a carer. Also when you pick them up and turn them upside down they will curl into a ball. They should be a nice circle shape and their bottoms round and not pointy ( egg shaped )
I have been a rehabillitator for many years and cannot count the amount of people who tell me their hog died because they didn’t follow advice so please do.
You will not be hurting the hedgehog but you may be saving it’s life.

Hedgehog