Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog autumn juvenile Reply To: autumn juvenile

Hi
I have no objection to eggs at all if your hogs will eat them. However your original post gave the impression that is all you were told to feed them and that would not have been for the best.
In the wild eggs do make up a percentage of a hogs diet, however as I’m sure you’ve read the bulk is made up of worms and various other creepie crawlies and insects. They are oportunistic feeders which often gets them in trouble.
The food now noted above sounds fine.
With regard to exercise the only thing to do is give them the biggest cage you can. It is not ideal but it’s better than being in the wild unable to cope.
Hogs do not take to exercise wheels or anything. You will need to adjust their diet accordingly as time goes on so that they don’t get fat.
In a large cage you can also scatter the food so they have to forage for it rather than just eat from a bowl – but this doesn’t work in a small area as it’ll end up being poo’d on
I have found a lot of the hogs I’ve overwintered will naturally regulate their intake but that’s over hundreds of hogs and not the 3 you have, some are quite happy to just get fat!
Keeping them together also helps as they will be more lively but do make sure one isn’t being bullied so you will need to keep weighing regularly

Hedgehog