Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog autumn juvenile Reply To: autumn juvenile

Hi.
I’ve just fed and settled our 3 little guests in their newly refreshed boxes.
I have kept them apart as we have watched the hedgehog behaviour for a few years with a camera trap so unless it is for mating purposes they really prefer to be solitary and can be quite aggressive when they meet. So much so that we nicknamed one ‘phsycho’ and we have the footage to prove it.
Tiggy 3 has a tick and Tiggy 2 has suddenly got 2 ? I guess they must have been on it’s tummy for us not to see them. My husband has ordered the special tool to remove them and there is a you tube video and he seems confidant.
The 2 small ones have achieved 280gms and the 3rd is now 405gms so they are gaining weight so all good hopefully.
If the heavier one achieves a higher weight could he safely be released?
I realise advice says to keep them for the winter but if possible surely they would be better off in the wild especially as at present it has only been just over a week and we have 2 enclosed feeding stations in the garden.
We set up the camera trap last night and we have footage of at least 4 individuals. 2 of which looked to be small so if we could release 1 we could help another hopefully. Of course we would be o.k. to over winter them as we know the population needs help. Please advise. Thankyou

Hedgehog