Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog autumn juvenile Reply To: autumn juvenile

Hi
In captivity young hogs often settle better with another hog around so don’t rule out keeping them together. Once out in the wild it’s a different story but again not always
I would not release the bigger one. The weight they gain in captivity is quick due to all the free food and ‘false’. By that I mean that they are not putting down the right type of brown fat for hibernation. Usually on release they will lose 100gms within the first couple of days. As we are already half way through november it’s only a matter of time before it may just decide to hibernate/winter arrive in force.
Personally I’d double up in your hog houses. It’s not ideal but it’s better than being dead, and then they can all go in Spring.
Ticks are easy to remove – you often don’t see them as they are small and then you only spot them as they get bigger.

Hedgehog