Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog autumn juvenile Reply To: autumn juvenile

To be frank I don’t really know what you want here. I don’t want to get into an argument on here with anyone, I am a very experienced rehabilitator and only advise when asked. At the end of the day it’s up to you how to proceed.
Pat Morris also mentions the need for brown fat in order for the animal to rouse itself out of hibernation. It needs both as I’m sure you will have read.
As with humans hogs need to build fat stores in a sensible way – when we take hogs into captivity we disrupt their ‘normal’ uptake of nutrients and how they lay them down into their bodies. It is very common for captive hogs to get fat in a bad way.
If you plan to let them hibernate then you will need to make sure they are housed outside where they are cold, although perhaps sheltered from extreme weather. But be aware in captivity hogs will not always hibernate.
Hedgehogs have to get themselves ready for hibernation – they effectively detox their systems over a period of time.
You will need to leave a permanant source of food/water
I repeat again that at the weight your hogs are I would not release – I would overwinter and release in spring.

Hedgehog