Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hibernation Reply To: Hibernation

Hi all

I’ve been following this thread with interest. I have been feeding and filming the hedgehogs in my garden all year. I only had two regular visitors and they usually visited between 2 and 3.30am. We’ve had a few frosts here (I’m in the East Midlands) and I didn’t see them for a couple of nights, so I thought that was it for the year. I packed my camera away but left food out in my feeding station. Suddenly all the food went. Cats can’t get at it, so I put the camera back up and I am getting hedgehogs from about 6.30pm through to 5.30am. I never get more than one on the camera at once, but judging by the varying sizes there are at least four different hedgehogs. Where have they all suddenly come from and how do they know I have food in my garden? Last night I had 48 separate images of hedgehogs, when normally I’d get 15 on a good night. I’m loving it – but just a little surprised. If anyone has any theories I’d love to hear them.

Lu

Hedgehog