Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hibernation Reply To: Hibernation

Nic

Hi Lu

Sorry no-one replied to you earlier. I think a lot of people ‘hibernate’ from Hedgehog Street when the hogs do! I missed your message until today.

I think the hogs must follow the trails of other hogs to find the food, but they do cover quite large distances foraging for food. At this time of year, I don’t imagine there is much wild food left, so they may well be going further afield. It quite often seems to happen at this time of year that hoglets (some of them quite a bit bigger than others) appear, often after their Mums have gone to hibernate. Last year, there were new hoglets turning up here until the end of November – several weeks after all the adults had disappeared. So my guess would be hoglets, even if some of them may look nearly adult sized.

Most hogs will eventually hibernate, but I have heard of some hogs who have just carried on visiting all winter.

Hedgehog