Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Nic

Hi again Annie

Update on the hog feeding box. Seems like one of the hoglets liked the new partition a bit too much and has decided to make a nest in there. I hope it isn’t planning to hibernate as the new ‘chamber’ is quite small now – and the food is still in there to potentially get a bit manky, unless it has all been eaten, which seems unlikely from past experience. I was suspicious because there was vegetation outside, so opened the box very carefully a tiny bit and there was the hoglet all curled up amongst loads of leaves. So much for my plan to keep providing safe access to the food.

For once I was glad that the cam started misbehaving (i.e. taking non stop clips) and it very conveniently didn’t start going wrong until after 4 a.m. otherwise the batteries would have run out. There are lots of clips of the hoglet (quite a good size now) going into the box with huge mouthfuls of leaves, etc. I think it started about 5 and the last mouthful went in just after 7. Interestingly, it didn’t use the leaves from another nearby box, where they would have been dry and plentiful, but disappeared into the flower beds.

I didn’t see Digger again last night but haven’t checked all of the cam clips yet.

Hedgehog