Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat When to stop feeding Reply To: When to stop feeding

Nic

Hi Roxyhogan

I agree with Prickles.

My feeling is that we do not truly understand all the factors leading to hibernation. I don’t believe it is as simple as only temperature or food supply. I leave food out until I am fairly sure no more hogs are visiting. In my experience, the hogs have always disappeared to hibernate despite the food I provided being available (other than the occasional under-weight hoglet which has gone for over-wintering). If it was purely about food availability or temperature, all the males would not disappear from here in September.

At the moment there are still hoglets around (some possibly visiting late at night and not seen) which, given the chance, could still make the necessary weight to survive hibernation in the wild. I don’t imagine there is much ‘natural’ food left, so if we don’t continue feeding them, they may not survive.

So, I would keep feeding as you have been, and continue for a while after you have seen the last hog in case it or another one appears again.

Hedgehog