Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog autumn juvenile Reply To: autumn juvenile

Nic

Hi Hoglet

I think you are probably right about some people giving up feeding too early. Sometimes hoglets appear a while after all the adults have gone to hibernate. I don’t think it is a bad idea to leave food out all winter at all. Hogs sometimes wake up during hibernation and might welcome a bite to eat and I always leave water out all the time. Also, one year, there was a hoglet here who had hibernated but was obviously too small and came out of hibernation early. Luckily I saw him, and managed to rescue the little chap. But I, also, didn’t want people to think that the little ones would just keep coming to feed if there was food there, because some just don’t and if they are to survive need rescuing.

I have got a bit of a problem this year, that a cat has appeared who eats food which cats are not normally interested in – there’s always one! I was then putting the food in the (I thought, cat proof) feeding box, but not only did the cat manage to get in, but then a hoglet decided to build a nest in there. So that has completely foiled my plan. Now I am spreading the food out a bit more and putting some long grasses lightly over the top. The current remaining hoglet seems to manage, but I hoped the cat might be put off. Only time will tell!

Hedgehog