Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Defending Hog House and Food Supply Reply To: Defending Hog House and Food Supply

Nic

Hi Jens
I always thought the reason they sometimes move might be parasites, but also natural disasters, such as flooding or if their nest was disturbed by other animals or humans. I read that they actually sometimes make new nests during hibernation (rather than moving to another one they had already made) and having seen the how industrious the little hoglet was, that must take up a huge amount of their precious stored up energy.

Hedgehog Street did a survey this year of hedgehog homes, so it will be interesting to hear the results, and that may go some way to answering your question. Otherwise, I read that they like hibernating in bramble and scrub patches which makes sense, bearing in mind their name. It sounds as if the place your are describing is a bit like that, so might be a good site. Are you sure they don’t use it, I imagine a wild nest would be very well camouflaged.

Hedgehog