Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

Hoglet is obviously feeling the need for extra warmth, not surprised at that temperature. Hope the new feeding box is up & running she/he is going to need it I think, specially as she hasn’t yet gone to sleep for a while.

Trying to plan the garden for next year still, the borders are great but as I have peashingle & not grass maybe one of them could have grass sown amongst the flowers then the hogs will like it better. We know they love to forage & having read your reports of them in the longer grass I think that’s the only thing I can do. The garden is very small & floods where the grass used to be thus rendering it a messy quagmire useless for anything except bathing & drinking for birds, hogs & cats but when the weather’s bad enough for flooding they aren’t around anyhow!

Not sure what the flowers would make of that though, might choke them out of the border.

When it snowed last weekend the gravel flooded higher up the garden than I’ve ever seen it, Frank started to gingerly walk through it til he realised how deep it was , flicked his paws, jumped back & went the long way round. All he had to do was jump across it, funny boy. He was heading for my London Pride which is his favourite place in both the front & back gardens to pee!

Hope hoglet is snug now & spending more time preparing to sleep.

Put a new peanut feeder out yesterday as it’s so cold, previous ones have been ignored, today long tailed tits found it. Hope they remember & come back, they make good use of the fatballs so expect they will.

Hedgehog