Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat NEW BHPS PETITION AGAINST A24 TRAP, PLEASE SIGN! Reply To: NEW BHPS PETITION AGAINST A24 TRAP, PLEASE SIGN!

Hi Nic, Catherine,

I agree, the response to the petition so far has been very disappointing. With all the publicity yesterday over the report on ‘The State Of Britain’s Hedgehogs’ I thought it would have at least made the 10,000 mark, but when I last looked this morning it was still a way off at 9648. I listened to one of the radio broadcasts and watched the piece on BBC breakfast, but despite such great opportunities there was no mention of it. I don’t know if you have been watching any of the programs on the Suffragettes recently, celebrating 100 years since women gained the vote, but they were extremely dedicated to the cause, we could always go on hunger strike or chain ourselves to a few railings! Hopefully we won’t need to go that far, like you say Catherine, all it needs is a few celeb’s to get ‘TWEETING’!!!

I ‘Googled’ the A24 hedgehog trap yesterday and came across a very distressing video posted on YouTube towards the end of last year. It shows a poor hedgehog being bludgeoned and then rolling downhill, out of the way to make room for the next victim. I haven’t put the link on here because I thought it was too distressing, but if people only knew that this trap is out there now killing our hedgehogs and any other unsuspecting wildlife, they would be horrified. 🙁

I don’t think the weather is going to be as obliging today, but I will be off to do battle with a few more letterboxes, hopefully there won’t be too many of those with booby traps on the inside or only 3” inches off the ground! Quite a few of them yesterday were up one or two narrow steps and I had to keep reminding myself not to step backwards, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before I fall flat on my back…the risk assessments for posties must make very interesting reading!

Our area on the map has now gone from yellow to orange, so just maybe we are making a difference. 🙂

Hedgehog