Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat New hedgehog house Reply To: New hedgehog house

Hi Nic
I have always had hedgehogs in my garden and always had dogs but I wonder if that is why they haven’t nested in my old hog house. Having said that, I didn’t check inside it very often as I was afraid that if there was a hog in it, it would disappear never to cross my garden path again.

I have a pond and a waterfall which is all hog friendly and when I’m away I have friends that come in regularly to feed my fish and keep the bird feeders topped up. I’m sure they won’t mind one more mouth to feed.

I think I now know it was cats eating my hog food. For the last few days I have had food in the house. The house was placed in the corner of the patio as before but with the entrance facing the side of house with only a 5 inch gap between the two. The house was then weighted down heavily so that nothing could turn it away from the wall and the food is still there. I think a hog could get in a 5 inch gap do you? If so I will find a similar position in the wild garden, maybe close to the shed or the log store and weight it down sufficiently and then wait, but I don’t do patience so roll on March. Lol.

I may be able to adapt my old hog house as a feeding station and just use the Hogilo as a nesting box.

The Hogilo came recommended on one of the wildlife tv programs like Spring/Autumn watch and I have tried to post a link on here and also a photo. I’m not able to but technology and I seem to work against each other.
Thank you for your help so far.
Sent from my iPhone

Hedgehog