Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Nic

Hi Annie

Yes Willpar’s videos are good. The interesting thing is that the hogs on that and another of Willpar’s videos elsewhere on the forum, which have presumably been hibernating, seem to be moving much more slowly than hoglet, who hasn’t. Hoglet seems to tear around the place now. I was glad to hear Jens’ favourite animal is hedgehogs. I can’t even begin to imagine how I would impersonate one!

Several cat attempts have been made to get into the feed box, but so far, unsuccessfully. There are at least 5 different cats which are regular visitors. Two of them have been seen with their rear ends sticking out of the doorway to the box, but must have decided they can’t get past the brick. The other night a big black cat was showing a lot of interest, sniffing round the entrance, when hoglet appeared, trotting briskly across the patio heading straight for the doorway. It’s easy to forget when looking at the video that it is dark. Hoglet pulled up sharply, and pulled his head in a bit – cat sniffed towards him then departed in one direction and shortly afterwards hoglet in the other direction.

Hoglet is getting more adventurous now and disappears for longer. Also he isn’t going into the nest box so often. He must be taking different routes up the garden as some nights the camera misses his arrival. I have noticed that he is spending more time foraging and is often seen on the lawn which is rather long and shaggy at the moment. He also seems to be drinking more outside – front feet in the water bowl – Brrr.

The trouble with him being, probably, a male, is that I have a feeling that the males disperse when they get a bit older. They usually make occasional visits to start with, but they become fewer. I suppose it is partly because the youngsters get beaten up by the big boys, but it may be a natural way of avoiding too much inter-breeding. I hadn’t thought of Holly being a suitable name for male or female. I was desperately trying to think of a male name, but the only thing I could think of which sounded vaguely like hoglet, was Hogarth. Slightly pretentious, maybe, for little hoglet, but sometimes they just end up with the name that begins to stick.

Good old Frank – he sounds a very entertaining cat!

Hedgehog