Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Concerned about daytime outings. Reply To: Concerned about daytime outings.

Nic

Hi Annie

I was really sad to hear that your little hog didn’t make it, despite the efforts you went to. Sadly, not all hogs will survive hibernation, even if they had reached the necessary weight. It is a dangerous time for hogs. This year must have been particularly tricky for them, with fluctuations in the weather. But you did your best, and that is all we can do. Fingers crossed for the other two there.

I always look forward, but with some trepidation for the hogs to come back from hibernation, not knowing who is going to come back. This year I have had one little chap visiting all winter. The snow was a bit of a worry, but he was back after two days absence. The really cold weather before the snow didn’t seem to bother him so much. He made a nest here last year, but has mostly only used it for a naps and maybe a warm up in between snacking. By this time last year, the boys were beginning to return, but no sign yet. I don’t know what the little chap is going to make of it after being in sole occupation of the area all winter! He is beginning to forage already, so there must be a certain amount of wild food around now.

Good luck with the other hogs. I hope you get lots visiting this year.

Hedgehog