Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Why Is Hedgehog's Body Vibrating As He Enters Nest? Reply To: Why Is Hedgehog's Body Vibrating As He Enters Nest?

Nic

Hi MrsHogofthehedge

Nice to see you have hogs around. It looks to me as if you might be right and the hog is having a good sniff and it is his lungs expanding. It looks exaggerated because of all those spines! Also he looks fairly small, but sometimes video is deceptive. However, hogs do sometimes get breathing problems – possibly from worms, so if he is making a lot of noise when breathing, (I don’t mean the noise they make during courtship) and you are concerned, it might be worth taking the advice of your local carer. If you don’t already have contact details you can get details of your nearest carer from the BHPS.01584 89080.

It isn’t certain that there is more than one hog, even if there are two nests. They sometimes change nests during hibernation. I had a little chap here all winter. He spent ages building a nest in one of the boxes but mostly only used it for naps between snacks and must have had another nest somewhere else.

Hope the hog or hogs are ok and stay well.

Hedgehog