Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Sighting and Help! Southport Reply To: Sighting and Help! Southport

By no means an expert, but hope this helps;

Leaving some areas a bit wilder is always good, if you can don’t cut the grass too short everywhere leave some a bit longer. Don’t go ott on outside lights if you do have them outside make sure they are dim ones – mine prefer wandering in the dark. Log piles are good which encourage Beatles and bugs which is the natural diet of the hogs, they eat less snails and slugs than you think which also have a risk of parasites so the more Beatles you have the better. A wildlife pond is good not just for the hogs but other wildlife too (size isn’t crucial easy accessibility is), it doesn’t have to be a lake a bin lid size is fine as long as it’s easy to access and will be used as a bird bath too.

Depending on where you are cats can be an issue getting the food – when it comes to feeding, Penny on the forum has an excellent home made feeding station design on the forum, which touch wood has flumaxed the locals cats so far and is more attractive in the garden. Always make sure there is fresh water available, they drink as well as eat.

As for the hog home – put it in a sheltered spot not facing the prevailing wind / rain and not in direct sunlight. I have mine tucked under a Christmas tree which has wide branches low down this helps protect it from predators etc… so under a bush would be good if you have one.

Don’t forget a comfy chair and a big mug! It’s very addictive watching those hogs!

Happy hog watching. 😀

Hedgehog