Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Late Hibernating or early breeding ? Reply To: Late Hibernating or early breeding ?

Nic

Hi Phil1

It is possible that a hog hasn’t come out of hibernation yet. It isn’t completely temperature related and they have to go through the process of coming out of hibernation which may take some time. I know the advice is not to clean out boxes until April, but I find here, that the females don’t tend to return until at least mid April. Some of the hogs went to hibernate quite late, and so may return later. The older females here, have not returned yet. We have to remember that there was also the cold snap before the warm weather and I found the males returned later than usual.

I think it is too early for babies yet. Although, I suppose if a male and female both didn’t hibernate, it may be possible, if unlikely.

A hog could just be using it as a day nest. To be sure whether a hog is going in and out, you could leave some rolled up paper or a small twig in the entrance and see if it has been disturbed. I find hogs are very clever at going in and out of boxes without us seeing, even if we think we have been watching all the time!

Hedgehog