Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Soft releases for hedgehogs Reply To: Soft releases for hedgehogs

Hi Claudiac and lovely to hear about new releasers and volunteers in this.

As mentioned- lots of techniques- and I have a few things you might want to think about on this. I’ve been releasing in this way for quite a few years and it seems to provide best results.

Each hog to be released separately- unless they have been raised and kept as cage mates, in which case they can be released together.
I use the biggest run I can at the bottom of the garden near release site and put the hog in a house in the very middle one evening at dusk. I put the hogs own bedding in the house so it’s a familiar smell to them made from their overwintering nest they’ve had.
I cover with some tarpaulin over the run to keep it shaded and dry.
I scatter some food and provide water in a place I can reach and replenish easily with minimal disturbance.
I leave them like this for 2 nights usually.
They will parade the edges until worn down and also try to dig their way out in this time so important to secure tightly!
On the third evening I transfer them in their house out the run to a good release site and position the house away from others in a shaded and secure area with entrance away from drafts.
I make sure they have continued food and water supplied in stations they can find easily.
I position a camera so I can watch them for a day at or two
Often they return to their house for quite a while- depends completely on hogs confidence. We have had females stay and raise young in the houses.
Have some tissues at the ready as it’s quite an emotional experience!

We have done similar this year by using neighbours gardens to support the dispersal process.

Good luck!

Hedgehog