Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Feeding station problems Reply To: Feeding station problems

Nic

Hi flatheadwifi

Well, amazingly, a cat managed to get past my half brick and the double twisty corridors. Like you, I was at a loss. They do seem to be incredibly persistent! and how is it physically possible? I added a complete brick as well as the half brick and that solved the problem. The hog didn’t seem to have a problem with it and neither did some of the returners. But having seen the previous attempt I was worried in the mornings whether I was going to open the box to find a cat stuck in the twisty turns. Thank goodness, not.

Only one of the 6 cats who frequently visit the garden have visited in the last few weeks. Ironically just when a rat turns up. Are all these cats complete wimps!?

Seriously, though, I think it is harder for the cats to twist if the area is shallower. They don’t seem to be able to get through a shallower longer bit with a turn at the end. I’m not sure whether you are going to be able to do it with your current set up, unless you can create a long shallow tunnel with turns in it, outside. You might end up with the whole garden full of a maze!

If you are thinking of starting again, Penny tells us that her box seems to work and she used to have problems with cats. There is a picture on the following https://www.flickr.com/photos/144453064@N05/35319840883/
She did put the measurements somewhere, but I can’t find that at the moment. If I come across it I’ll copy it here. Or maybe Penny might see this and tell us again. If you do use that as a copy, I think the key is to keep the entrance holes quite small, because otherwise the entrances set up is very similar to mine and as I said, the cats got in.

Hedgehog