Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Unusual Behaviour? Reply To: Unusual Behaviour?

Nic

Hi

I’m curious as to why you thought they were both males. It looks to me like normal courting behaviour with the smaller hog being a female. The smaller hog does look very small. I suppose it is just possible that the older hog got confused with a very small hog which possibly hasn’t reach maturity. Both male and female hogs are very tolerant of youngsters but once they reach a certain size the gloves are off and it is more likely another male would get biffed.

Assuming they are male and female, the females do sometimes butt the males during the courtship ‘dance’. But this is not normally the really aggressive butting of a male with another male.

Hedgehog