Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hog Observations Reply To: Hog Observations

Hi Miss Tiddlewinkles,

I’m no hog expert but if your hog is eating and drinking I would think they are fine but others may be able to advise on this better than me.

Good to see you are feeding them cat food (no mealworms please as I found out, quite a while back, that these aren’t good for hogs) and always make sure they have access to water especially when its warm – when we had our ‘summer’ last week the hogs were drinking a lot and I had to top up their water dish a couple of times during the evening although they do have a habit of flipping it up and spilling the contents sometimes over themselves! Also best not to handle them as they are wild animals and this may cause them stress.

As for the itching my hogs are often scratching with their surprisingly long legs which seem to reach everywhere! I have often seen them get a bit carried away with their scratching leading to some comical ‘roll overs’.

I take it your hog doesn’t have a tick infestation (little white blobs normally around the head/ears)? My hogs often have 1 or 2 ticks on them (which ironically helps me identify individuals) but this number isn’t much of an issue for healthy hogs but if they are a bit under the weather ticks can become more prevalent and if they have an infestation can make them anemic so they may need some help to remove them (I know others on the forum have done this using a tick hook but I have never tried it myself as I have yet to come across an individual needing attention and I know you have to be very carefull to not leave the mouth parts in the hog as this could lead to more problems).

Hedgehog