Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Unusual Behaviour? Reply To: Unusual Behaviour?

Nic

For what it’s worth – I think you possibly have 3 (or more) hogs. In the first video, I think the small one is female and the large one male. It looks to me like normal ‘courtship’ behaviour with the male beginning to circle the smaller female and her huffing and going slightly backwards. The very small jerky movements of the female are typical. It looks to me as if she is not altogether happy with his advances. It is difficult when the video is so short.

In the second, you are right, the small one looks male. I have also looked at your video on ‘hedgehog tales’ where it definitely looks like 2 males. Not much seems to be going on in the second video here. It could be that the small male is chancing his luck (to share the food bowl), but it isn’t really possible to tell in that case whether the large one is male or female. Again video not long enough.

In the third it looks like small female and large male again. You can actually see her (small one) spines moving in time with the huffing. Again the slight jerky movements. Female hogs will often do those small quick biffs during ‘courtship’. The (larger) male is doing the typical male thing of going slightly at an angle and making his body look taller but narrower (larger from the side) – as was also happening in the first video.

I think this is an example of why you get far more from watching the hogs in real time. Short clips don’t really give the full picture of what is going on. Having watched hogs for many years in real time, it seems fairly obvious to me, but when you are newer to watching hog behaviour it can be confusing.

Having said all that, it is possible that one or more hogs are confused, but in my experience the more obvious answer more often turns out to be the right one.

Hedgehog