Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog with one eye? Reply To: Hedgehog with one eye?

Hi AlanB,

I’m coming back to your question – because we have just taken in a female for release from my rescue centre contact. This female had a large proportion of the left side of her face taken off in a trimming accident – she actually lost her left eye and left ear, but fortunately her nose was left intact.
she wasnt given a huge amount of survival expectation due to the severity of the situation and skin regrowth, infection risk etc – but the hog vet did his best and she was rehabilitated for several months at the rescue.
I have to say how amazed I am at her survival instinct and she is incredibly capable and fiesty. The rescue contact has no reservations that she will survive back in the wild, with some feeding and housing support initially from us – (and it would be wrong to keep her in a captive environment).
So – i think in summary to your question – and the expectations from the people who know more about these things than I could ever hope to – is that the loss of an eye is not necessarily an impediment that impacts their survival or quality of life.

Hedgehog