Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Wildlife camera recommendation Reply To: Wildlife camera recommendation

Currently I am using the Crenova RD1000 and Toguard 12MP 120° Wide Angle. The Toguard has a particularly wide field of view, much better then the Crenova. So it is overall the best of my two for getting hedgehog videos. But the Crenova can record up to 10 minute clips, with the Toguard maxing out at 90 seconds. Although I usually just set the Crenova to 2 minutes.

I find that cameras with narrower fields of view are perfectly fine for watching something specific like a feeder. But take some care with how you set it up and also do a test shot. I find that the field of view shown on the screen can often be a bit wider than what you actually get in the videos. I am not sure why that is and it could be down to just how the IR lighting works. A camera with a wide field of view, like the Toguard, is great for watching an area, like a patio. Although the quality of the video will be slightly less than one with a narrower field of view.

As for batteries I use rechargeable ones and have about 1 and a half times what is needed to run all of my cameras. I recharge them during the day using multiple chargers so that they are ready to go at night. Having done this now for over a month I am not noticing any issues with battery life yet.

Hedgehog