Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Mating games in the forrest Reply To: Mating games in the forrest

Nic

Hi Jens

It’s interesting to hear about the courting hogs there. But, what happened to your trying to stay un-noticed?! Don’t forget that most of the professional wildlife film makers go to great lengths to make sure their presence doesn’t impact, in any way, on the behaviour of the wildlife they are filming, and there are very many excellent wildlife films around. Some of the film-makers started out just like you filming their local wildlife. Sounds like you were combining trying to be very quiet but then trying to call them as well! I think you will find it very rewarding when you find you can film the hogs without needing to try to attract them at all.

But back to the courtship ‘dance’. The females do tend to look a bit dismissive. In a book called ‘Hedgehogs’ written by Pat Morris, he says “…. ‘Courtship’ is a grandiose term for what is actually a rather ill-tempered and seemingly tedious affair ….”. But it can be funny when they meet obstacles on the way. I had one female who moved up very close to a very large flower pot and the male just incorporated the pot into his circle! Sounds like those there were doing something similar. I have also noticed, on occasion, that they will transfer their attentions to a larger (probably more mature) female which they may think is more worthy of their attention.

Hopefully the reason there aren’t so many hogs around is that they are hiding away somewhere having hoglets. That would be good. Happy hog watching and filming!

Hedgehog