Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Return of my regular Reply To: Return of my regular

No further progress on the nest front but will continue to monitor. The food continues to be consumed.

This reminds me of a previous occasion about 20 years ago. One fine day in the garden, I noticed a hog attacking the edge of my lawn without much success, as it had recently been mowed. In order to distract it I gathered a handful of long grass from the wildlife section of the garden and placed it in front of the hog, which promptly grabbed it and dragged it beneath a nearby Hebe. I gathered more grass, and the process repeated many times for around half an hour. The hog built a large dome like mound about 2 feet across and 1 foot high, entirely of grass. At this point I felt that having replicated the work of Kublai Khan, it was time to leave the hog to enjoy its new temporary home.

A day or so later, whilst sitting out enjoying the sun I heard strange noises, consisting various grunts and squeaks, emerging from the nest. As did my cat, which sat transfixed staring at the source of the commotion. Together we witnessed the birth of a litter, which later turned out to be 7 hoglets. Just as well the nest was so large.

On another note I had the task of guiding three mallards across our village High Street last weekend. There is large lake nearby, home to many waterbirds, and at this time of year some leave the environs of the water to find a quiet place to nest. Mostly however, they choose peoples’ gardens rather than the bustle of the local shops. Luckily the vehicle drivers stopped patiently as I herded the birds along.

Hedgehog