Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog seen in the morning – could this be a problem? Reply To: Hedgehog seen in the morning – could this be a problem?

Hi Senya,

sounds like nest building to me if carrying twigs etc – and females will be out at unusual times doing this as I guess they are driven by their hormones and desperation once they realise their babies are imminent.
Leaving food is a good idea – especially if there are young ones in the mix – but you wont see them for a while if at all. Mother will be desperately hungry whilst weaning them and will sneak out for top ups if you leave some food out and may even bring her babies to the food in time. I would try and avoid wet food though as it will attract flies and other pests more readily – so dry cat kibble or Spikes dry food is best and plenty of water also, ideally in a feeding station to deter cats from taking it.
(avoid the temptation to go anywhere near her or them whilst they are tiny – mothers are very intolerant of interference and could abandon them, or worse, if disturbed).
Fingers crossed you are blessed with some hoglet sightings (or Urchins as they are sometimes called)!

Hedgehog