Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Loss of Appetite Reply To: Loss of Appetite

Nic

Hi Dizzydog

I sometimes think they just like to keep us guessing! But it may be that they are finding more ‘wild’ food. Also if they have been ‘courting’ they may just not have had time to eat the cat food and one may have just eaten the bird food because it was nearer (?). I would try to make sure they don’t get too much bird food, though, as it isn’t that good for them nutritionally.

I find, sometimes the males seem to go walkabout and stop visiting every night. Then I may have visits from other male hogs who only visit occasionally. They have a bigger range than the females, so may be concentrating on other parts of their normal range. So it could be different hogs having different preferences. Maybe you have had more hogs visiting than you realise!

Having said that, the hoglet here who was eating kitten biscuits most of the winter, changed quite happily to hog food and chose it in preference to the kitten biscuits.

Hedgehog