Hedgehog Housing Census
The Hedgehog Housing census is now closed.
Thank you to all of you who took part, your results will be really useful in helping us to find out what kinds of hedgehog houses our hedgehogs need.
The team at the University of Reading will be analysing your survey results over the winter and will help us to publish a list of recommendations in the Spring time, so check back here then to find out what is the best hedgehog house!
Why we did it?
There is a lot of advice about how best to use hedgehog houses, but we need to do some research to be sure that this advice is well-founded and appropriate. The aim of this survey was to collect evidence that will help to guide people on how best to use hedgehog houses to help hedgehogs, based on the experiences of the thousands of you that already have them.
Some of the questions we would like to answer are:
- How frequently do hedgehog houses get used
- Which design is best?
- Does positioning of the box affect usage?
- Should you provide bedding?
- Does the presence of pets or other animals affect whether the box will be used?
- Are commercially available designs worth the money – or is DIY better?