How do I know if I have hedgehogs?
There are lots of ways to find out if hedgehogs are visiting your garden.
- Check out the BIG hedgehog map to see if people have spotted hedgehogs near you
- Hedgehog poop is quite recognisable
- ‘Hog prints are unique so if you have any wet earth, sand or want to use a proper mammal surveying tunnel you can see if ‘hogs are using your garden
- If you have a hedgehog house, place some leaves/bedding near the house entrance – a ‘hog will likely drag this into the house for nesting, so look out for bedding that has been moved
- Another trick is to place a stick over the house entrance and if this has moved it could be that a hedgehog is using it
- Finally, the sure fire way of spotting hedgehogs is installing a wildlife camera facing the house. There are some great affordable ones here on Nature Spy