Meet the Hedgehog Champions: Dave from Cheshire
7th May 2020
Hedgehog Awareness Week Day 5
Dave lives in Cheshire and became a Hedgehog Champion in May last year after seeing a hedgehog in his garden. He then came across Hedgehog Street and read up on how much hedgehogs have declined and need our help. From there, he decided to take action in his local community.
Not a Hedgehog Champion yet? You can sign up HERE.
‘Why wouldn’t you love hedgehogs, you only have to watch them in the wild for a few minutes and you totally fall in love with them!’
Dave’s been engaging with his local community to raise awareness about hedgehogs and how to help. Here’s some of the things he’s been up to…
(Please consult government advice regarding covid-19 before organising a community event.)
In the community…
- Dave put together a presentation using Hedgehog Champion resources, and shows groups the Top Tips for helping hedgehogs.
- Purchased a small table-top display stand which can be used at presentations, stalls and community events and venues.
- Created a local Facebook page, showing tips and signposting people towards more hedgehog info and local rescue centres if needed.
Engaging young people…
Dave recently organised an art competition for under 16’s to draw or paint hedgehogs in their natural surroundings. He is running the competition in conjunction with the local library. This allows effective engagement with young people and families, and ensures they understand how important hedgehog conservation is.
- Dave built his own hedgehog homes (despite ‘limited woodwork skills’), so that hedgehogs will have suitable shelter for the winter months.
- Installing a trail camera in the garden allows Dave to safely watch the hedgehogs and keep an eye on numbers of those visiting his garden.
‘The Hedgehog Street campaign not only pointed me in the right direction for information and support, but it also showed me how important it is to be part of a team who all have the same goal in wanting to support these wonderful animals.’