Hedgehog Champions survey results
10th February 2021
You may remember back in late 2019 we asked you to tell us about your garden, as part of a hedgehog PhD research project. The project is investigating conservation strategies for urban hedgehogs in the UK. The survey formed an important part of the research so thank you to all of you who took the time to help! We’re pleased to bring you some preliminary results…
• 5155 people completed the survey. Respondents represented all regions of the UK.
• 2392 (46%) of those participants reported having made a Hedgehog Highway.
• Of those Hedgehog Highway-making participants, over half had been motivated to make a Highway by the decline in hedgehog numbers in the UK (59%).
• Even more were motivated by a desire to make their garden more wildlife-friendly (70%).
• 75% of people observed directly or observed evidence of their Highway being used by hedgehogs.
The full PhD is yet to be published, but we hope to bring you more results this summer!