Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Neighbour issues Reply To: Neighbour issues

Nic

Hi sass7705

Welcome to the Forum and I’m sorry that your first message is such a sad one. I know it is difficult, but as Jan Marie says, it might be worth having a chat with the people you think have blocked the hole, armed with lots of leaflets and information. Sometimes it is just that people completely don’t understand the situation and don’t realise how harmless and useful hogs can be in the garden. (and I have heard of people blocking hogs out because they are worried their dogs might attack them) You may even be able to impress them with any steps you might take to avoid attracting rats, etc.

Alternatively/also (and I don’t know how feasible it is with the layout there) try to get some of their neighbours and your neighbours to make holes in their fences, so that the hogs can bypass that garden. I know it can be very disappointing and upsetting. One of my neighbours blocked the path the hogs used to use a few years back. They soon found they could just go through the next garden along – who are reasonably hedgehog friendly. So if all else fails, don’t give up they may find a way to get to you somehow.

Just to give you a bit of hope. I had one hog visitor whose route to my garden was blocked by building work. She disappeared in August last year and when we got to May this year, I thought I wouldn’t ever see her again, but then in June she miraculously appeared again. Such a lovely surprise. So don’t give up hope.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Sorry, have just seen that this has crossed with your latest message.

Hedgehog