Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings How do we tell the age and relationship of hedgehogs Reply To: How do we tell the age and relationship of hedgehogs

Nic

Hi Suecowp

It’s really good to hear about all the hogs there. In answer to your question, the answer is you can’t really! However:

It is unlikely that a family would stay together in the long term. They are solitary animals. The males don’t take any part in the raising of the hoglets. One litter of hoglets can even have more than one Father.

In my experience, a male is unlikely to share a feed bowl with another male hog unless it is a fairly young one. All hogs seem to tolerate youngsters up to a certain size sharing a bowl with them, whether they are their offspring or not. So it isn’t really possible to say they are offspring of the adult they are eating with. Once they reach a certain size the gloves are off! Having said that, some females will share bowls when they’re older. But I have found that females are choosy about which other adult females they will share with, happily sharing with one hog but being very intolerant of another and nudge it out of the way. Because I was able to identify individuals, I have seen one hog (possibly related) is always tolerated and another is never tolerated. Hoglets seem to like sharing bowls, either with another hoglet or an adult, even if there is another bowl available.

I wrote some information about how to identify hogs, which you might be interested in, at:
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/tolerant-hedgies/
It can be very rewarding identifying the hogs naturally.

And how to tell male from female
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/hedgehogs-galore-2/

Re. the feeding. First of all, what we feed should be supplementary. But, in this exceptionally hot, dry, weather some hogs are finding it difficult to find natural food and especially water. It is best if water is provided 24 hours a day. Also, with the weather as it is, if the food is all gone in the morning I would leave a little bit more out, although, of course it may be birds or something else which is finishing it off? In the long term the best thing to do is to improve the habitat in your garden for the hogs and encourage other people living nearby to do the same. There are some tips at:
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/helpful-garden-features/

It isn’t really possible to advise re. Weights or amounts of food, because of the variability in habitat in different areas, as well as whether other people are feeding in the area as well.

Good luck and happy hog watching!

Hedgehog