Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Smell Reply To: Smell

Nic

Hi Gr8mums

I haven’t ever come across a strong smell in a certain area from hedgehogs. If they are eating a mostly natural diet, I don’t think the poos smell all that much either, although they do tend to smell more if they’ve been eating a lot of cat food, i.e. if they are being cared for, for some reason.

They do apparently emit a smell if they are very frightened. I had a dog get into my garden once and it attacked a hedgehog. I could smell a sort of foxy smell and so to start with thought it was a fox. I was later told it may have been the hedgehog emitting the smell. But that was only temporary.

I have in the past sometimes had male cats spraying in my garden and that can be quite smelly and it also seems to hang around for a while. But it is quite a distinctive smell, which you may be familiar with, but they do tend to keep re-spraying the same place.

I expect you’ve already thought of the possibility of something dead? Or maybe it’s the wrong type of smell?

Difficult to say. Let us know if you solve the mystery.

Hedgehog