Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hugh's Highway Petition Reply To: Hugh's Highway Petition

I’m afraid that my eco-warrior days are largely behind me now, apart from signing the odd petition.

But faced with a housing development not far from me ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X-LHYaMnoJTdSwaXNTX9fs6zpM37t7tx/view?usp=sharing ) which is taking another huge chunk of habitat out of the area, especially habitat valuable to hedgehogs, I’m wondering what happens to the hedgehog population when the bulldozers move in, especially if clearance work starts during the hibernation period.

I’d assume that some kind of environmental impact study might take place, and wildlife groups be given the opportunity to be involved in relocating displaced resident wild-life.

As a kid I well remember my old Dad exclaiming, “I remember when all this was fields” (not long after the war). Now I wonder how far my grand-kids will have to go to see wildflowers and wild-life in a semi-natural environment once all the fence panels with concrete bases go in, squeezing as much property into the smallest possible place.

Hedgehog