Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Hugh's Highway Petition

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hugh's Highway Petition

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Please sign and distribute – time for legislation

https://www.change.org/p/help-save-britain-s-hedgehogs-with-hedgehog-highways

rethreading in hope of a boost!

Hi,
    Can it be Emailed to all champions?
    I sometimes receive an EMail from Emily.
    It is a great opportunity to get this into legislation.

Good idea.
    I’ll ask Fay at BHPS and Emily to see what they can do with it too.

I have also sent Emails to my local animal rescue centres asking them to sign and forward to their friends.

Well done Jan-Marie πŸ™‚

Good idea simbo65 πŸ™‚

I have copied and pasted the link on about 30ish Facebook groups, didn’t take long to do, and local news and information groups. Got plenty of people liking, signing and sharing πŸ™‚

I’ve been watching the petition numbers over the weekend.

there has been a huge surge since yesterday afternoon – we are up to over 77k signatures! amazing – looks like this is really going to go places.

I hope Hugh has found that cute hedgehog photo he will owe us when we get to over 100k – it just gone over 98,500 signatures and its not slowing down.

Hurray!

Now over 100,000!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!!! Lets hope that those in charge finally take notice. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Whoopeeeee! Over 124,000!!! πŸ™‚

Super news!

192,218 have signed. Let’s get to 200,000!

I’m afraid that my eco-warrior days are largely behind me now, apart from signing the odd petition.

But faced with a housing development not far from me ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X-LHYaMnoJTdSwaXNTX9fs6zpM37t7tx/view?usp=sharing ) which is taking another huge chunk of habitat out of the area, especially habitat valuable to hedgehogs, I’m wondering what happens to the hedgehog population when the bulldozers move in, especially if clearance work starts during the hibernation period.

I’d assume that some kind of environmental impact study might take place, and wildlife groups be given the opportunity to be involved in relocating displaced resident wild-life.

As a kid I well remember my old Dad exclaiming, “I remember when all this was fields” (not long after the war). Now I wonder how far my grand-kids will have to go to see wildflowers and wild-life in a semi-natural environment once all the fence panels with concrete bases go in, squeezing as much property into the smallest possible place.

Over the past 4 years in excess of 600 new dwellings have gone up in our village on 2 new estates that were previously fields. It was when the building started that we began to get the large wave of hog refugees in our garden that we still see today. The developments were of course subject to various environmental impact assessments but as far as animals were concerned the assessments were limited to species with protected status and only mention bats (roosting, foraging or commuting), badgers, hazel dormice and slow worms. Hedgehogs are not mentioned. The report is dated December 2014. Not sure if anything has changed in the meantime but sadly it seems that a species has to be in possession of the right sort of protection.

Hello Leon / Catherine,

I would encourage both of you to sign Hugh’s petition if you haven’t already, also – if you look on Hugh’s website or Chris Packhams you will find a Manifesto for Wildlife – please read and share. Its quite controversial in places, but this is no doubt necessary these days in order to get any action taken. I think these things are only the beginning of what is potentially going to be an uprising of people like you and me who feel anxious about what the future holds for our wildlife and who care about stopping the habitat depletion. the more I look into it – the more I see and hear from people like us who feel that things need to change – we just need to turn that into a voice that can be heard.
    Councils and planners do need to have Policies around developments and you can ask to see them and ask to see the data – they are not supposed to be doing any development that hasn’t taken into account habitats for wildlife – including hedgehogs etc. Unfortunately saying and doing are two different things and these things will only come to light if they are challenged and exposed. I would encourage you to make your voices heard – otherwise we become part of the problem ourselves and that would be a decision we would live to regret.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog