Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Dead hedgehogs spotted. Reply To: Dead hedgehogs spotted.

Nic

Hi Elsie

Sounds as if you have the cat situation pretty well covered!

If you get the chance, it might be worth weighing the small hog. The recommended minimum weight for hibernation is 450g. If the hog is less than that, it might need to go to a hog rehabilitator to be over-wintered. There are some tips on weighing etc. on this topic:
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/advice-on-weighing-a-juvenile/

Sometimes you will get a hog who decides not to hibernate at all – I had one here last year. He visited every night except about 2 when there was snow that was too deep, even though I cleared a path up my garden for him! We had some pretty cold nights last winter, but he still turned up, although he did disappear into a nest he had made in one of the food boxes, for a warm up between snacks.

Hedgehog