Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehog with missing front leg Reply To: Hedgehog with missing front leg

Hi,
I am not an expert in these matters. I would ring BHPS to find out who your local carer is and ask there advice.
My gut instinct, if you can’t see an injury and it looks healthy is to hope he comes back for food and water and keep an eye on it. Any signs of getting worse I would take it to a local wildlife vet/ carer. Your carer should know who the local wildlife vet is. They do not charge.
Last year we took an injured hedgehog to the vet and he had a back leg amputated. We were told it is harder for a hedgehog without a front leg as they dig for food.
So- I would put plenty of food and water out and keep a watchful eye.
Also if you do take to the vet or carer, say you want to bring him back when he is well. He knows your area and may do better than being released somewhere else. Please keep me posted as to how he gets on.

Hedgehog