Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Hedgehogs and Honeybees as roomies Reply To: Hedgehogs and Honeybees as roomies

Hi JulsCrazyBeeLady,

how lovely to have bees – we were thinking about having a hive as we have moved somewhere that would give us the space and location to do this. we just don’t know enough about them yet to dive in, so more research required I think. A chap in our village sold his hives apparently just before we moved in – which I hadn’t appreciated people did – but guess that sort of thing happens too!
From your detail above I was thinking it could simply be the environment you have on the island that is attractive to the hogs (?) – I don’t think they seek out bees or have a sweet tooth necessarily (although they do like a raisin apparently, even if not good for their teeth!)
I had read recently – and hadn’t appreciated it being the case – but apparently badgers actively seek out bee hives in the wild as a food resource. I can only imagine the damage they cause – but, have you noticed any badger interest in your hives at all? definitely need to discourage them sharing an area anywhere near the hogs!

Hedgehog