Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings I’m new to hedgehog street and need some advice Reply To: I’m new to hedgehog street and need some advice

Nic

Hi Hettihog

Cameras are much more fun than perfume! Especially if you have other wildlife visiting as well. Endless entertainment!

I went down the cheap camera route to start with, but found they weren’t very reliable. I eventually got a Bushnell – but one of the cheaper ones of the range. It was more expensive than many, but the picture is much better than my cheaper one, it seems more reliable and seems less likely to miss things – even picks up the little mice which sometimes visit. (some of them are quicker at starting the next image/video than others). If I was getting another, I would get another Bushnell. The only thing I would do differently if I had the chance would be to get a wider angle lens. So that there was a larger area visible in the frame.

Having said that some people have been lucky and found some cheaper ones which they have found worked for them.

I wouldn’t get a camera that only had only 2 AA batteries – I just don’t think they would last long enough. I use 8 AA batteries in both of mine. They recommend not using rechargeable ones, but I do because the ordinary ones just ran out too quickly. For my Bushnell they are recharged daily, but that is aimed at the feeding area – which gets the most action – including cats and mice – usually not at the same time!

Good luck and happy hog watching.

Hedgehog