Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Another one eyed hedgehog……. Reply To: Another one eyed hedgehog…….

Nic

Hi simbo65

I think it’s possible some rescues might mark, but hopefully if they do they would be doing it responsibly – i.e. on only a very few spines with water based substance, ensuring that it didn’t reach the skin or cause the spines to be stuck together. (i.e. pretty much what BHPS say, if anyone feels they have to mark hogs)

Sadly, most of the marked ones I see do not follow that and some hogs look as if they may even have been marked by more than one person. Some certainly have different coloured markings on them and usually look a complete mess. But sometimes multiple spots all over the hog and once I had one where more than half of it’s spines were covered in something. Friday and Saturday nights seem to be the worst danger time. But if people stuck to the guidelines from BHPS it wouldn’t be quite so bad, although I think more often than not it is completely unnecessary anyway.

As well as potential problems from the smell of any substance, etc., it can have other health implications for the hogs. i.e. it could cover up skin problems, or even injuries, which might be mistaken for blobbing if that is common in the area.

Sad that some people have so little respect for wildlife.

Hedgehog