Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog Dilemma Reply To: Hedgehog Dilemma

That’s just made my day Hedgie Lover…I’m still laughing! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Whilst I was watering the plants the other day a hoverfly flew into a spider’s web; within seconds the poor thing was being spun round and round so fast it was a complete blur, when the spider had finished its victim was completely cocooned in silk and then put to one side for a snack later…I will never see my neighbours in the same light again! Thankfully ours are mostly ok, although one has an obsession with ants and ant powder which is a bit of a worry. Genghis, next door’s feline assassin is our biggest problem at the moment, I’m already working on grand plans to protect one of the bird boxes ready for next spring, he’s still trying to wrench it off the fence despite its occupants having left several weeks ago! I was worried about the new hoglets, but so far, on camera at least, he has left them well alone.

I have tried just about every cat and hedgehog biscuit over the years and their clear favourites are Purina One kitten biscuits with a sprinkling of Ark Hedgehog Muesli over the top, they won’t touch the wet stuff either. I always think their poo is a good indicator of how much natural food they are eating, if it is black and shiny then they are eating lots of their natural food, including their favourite black beetles, if it’s a bit more brown in colour then just maybe they are relying on our hospitality a bit too much, but this only usually happens when they are fattening up ready for hibernation. The hoglets seem to be doing well on it anyway and have already almost doubled in size, if they continue to grow at the current rate they may need to look for bigger prey…cats maybe… 🙂

Hedgehog