Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog Dilemma Reply To: Hedgehog Dilemma

Hi Hedgie Lover & Hettihog, I think there is some confusion here, as far as I know Spike do Semi moist and biscuits. I buy semi moist which is like mince meat to look at. My hogs love it. As said before, they are fussy eaters and if you keep changing the food they also tray it with suspicion. I get mine off the internet, if you shop around its OK. I buy 2, 1.3kl bags. They liked Purina (may not be right spelling) cat biscuits at one time, but don’t eat it now. Recently the semi moist Spike changed a bit in appearance and the hogs went on hunger strike for 3 days, which seems to be another habit they have, the 3 day rule! Cat and dog meat, they like chicken, turkey and duck but won’t eat mixed poultry! I bought 2 pkt of dog meat, (can’t remember what flavours) ate one not the other. I gave up on the wet cat and dog meat as if not eaten soon it doesn’t half niff, which will bring the cats and other unmentionables! So, please try putting one thing out for 3 or 4 days to test this theory. I’m sure people think if they don’t find what they like they will go elsewhere, so keep changing the food, but I’m sure they are wanting a supply of food that remains the same so isn’t suspicious. You can experiment with different things later, once you’ve gained their trust, by providing an extra dish of something else. As for neighbours, when mine had finished going on about the “so called rats feast” I did mention the hedgehogs we had and the comment as she turned to leave the gate was “huh”. So guess she doesn’t want them in her perfect garden in case they dig up her plants! The only problem I’m having with my feeding station at this time is megga giant slugs which the hogs don’t eat. I throw them out. Maybe they know they are bad, like the birds. I once dug worms up for the birds and was told by rspca that mothers knew which worms to pick as others had a virus or something. The things we don’t know!
Best wishes.

Hedgehog